Sunday, June 13, 2010

hound dogs

28mm f2.8 1/10s ISO200

retroactivecommentary
How come ELVIS doesn't get any comments?
haha- ok here is the deal.  This is my blog for my photography and I get to post what appeals to me.  Most times I am posting "something from my eye to yours" that has art flair or common appeal to the masses.  Hopefully some cross section of viewers will appreciate my flowers, mountains, coastlines, cityscapes and the sublime.  Maybe I do a good job of posting a little something for everybody from day to day.  Some days you love... some days you don't.
Okay... so back to ELVIS.  These figures are exactly the ones you see in small collections grouped together in antiques stores.  Some people never notice them at all.  Others are desparately looking for a "Silver Series: 1976 Bicentennial Commemerative Memphis Special Blue Suede King Artist Edition" Elvis Presley figure.  I am neither.  I notice these figurines with a photographers interest only.  The real pleasure in it for me is that it is a special passtime... for my daughter and me. 
We enjoy walking around antique stores with our cameras.  We share this and bond.  We talk over techniques, camera settings, perspective, color, lighting... you get the picture (and so do we).  Sometimes we are side by side and others she takes her camera and does her thing.  Then we get to look over photos together that evening.  When we do this we rip through some 700+ frames together.  It is a blast for us.  It is a proud pleasure for me.  I love seeing her artistic interpretation of my novice photo lessons.  She learns so fast and takes what I share and spins it into some new angle I hadn't thought of. 
These Elvis' figures...  10 minutes apart from one another... we took the same photograph.  I shot Elvis and then she unknowingly took the same shot.  We didn't know it until we gandered later that night.  The antique shop photographs are usually not "art" for everybody to enjoy.  To me... this is not a snapshot of the "hound dog." They are a piece of me and my shared experiences with my daughter.  I love her the WORLD.


as photographed by Madison Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment