Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cotton Was King

Dillon, South Carolina, USA.
As I was driving through Dillon County a few days ago I came across several cotton fields that had not been harvested yet.  The combines were chewing elsewhere on soybean crops.  This pasture of snowballs was huge and provided for some memories.  This is a mixed memory of sorts... I may be taking two memories and blending them together.  Somewhere is my closets I have a shoe box of raw cotton balls.  My recollection is that they were collected during some sort of field trip in the 2nd or 3rd grade while I schooled in SC.  Cotton was vital to agriculture and economy all throughout South Carolina's history.
The other memory I have is my grandfather, Papa, stopping on the side of the road.  He walked my brother and me into the edge of the field and told us a bit about cotton.  We picked a few raw pods of white fluff. It's that memory that really prompted me to stop for these photographs.  I must have been six or seven at the time.  He surely smiled down at me on Sunday afternoon as I stood there and remembered with me.


4 comments:

  1. I like this post, Jason. Even though I live in Florida, I think I've only seen cotton twice. I wasn't able to get out and photograph it. Did you make any closeups?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did take some macro close ups of the pods themselves. I also took several low angle shallow DOF shots down the row. The vastness of this image was strong to me. I wore it down a bit in processing to give it that 1950's grainy b&w look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you did in the processing stage

    ReplyDelete